The drug lorcaserin (APD-356), will be marketed with the anticipated trade name Lorqess. It is a purpoerted weight-loss drug developed by Arena Pharmaceuticals and has serotonergic properties and acts as an anorecticis, reducing appetite and food consumption.
On 22nd December 2009 a New Drug Application was submitted to the US Food and Drug Administration and lorcaserin is currently pending approval. However, FDA advisory panel has voted not to recommend approval based on safety and efficacy concerns. As of 23rd October 2010, the FDA stated it is not approving lorcaserin in its present form.
- FDA Panel Rejects Diet Drug Lorcaserin (webmd.com)
- Arena Shares Finish Higher After FDA Rejects Obesity Drug Lorcaserin (dailyfinance.com)
- Arena’s Weight-Loss Pill Lorqess (lorcaserin): Waiting For FDA (cenblog.org)
- Is Arena Pharmaceuticals the Perfect Stock? (fool.com)
- FDA Responds To Outraged Arena Investors (blogs.forbes.com)
- FDA refuses to approve weight-loss drug Lorcaserin (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Timeline: A look back at Arena’s lorcaserin (fiercebiotech.com)
- FDA Panel Votes Against Arena’s Diet Drug (dailyfinance.com)
- FDA rejects Arena Pharma diet drug lorcaserin (seattletimes.nwsource.com)