We can all do our bit in times of media hype and scare-mongering to avoid reading about doom and gloom, but there are also some sensible precautions to take to avoid the spread of disease, regardless of whether it’s swine flu (H1N1), bird flu (H5N1), or even just the common cold. These tips adapted from the US government:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you’re showing symptoms yourself.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean your hands frequently with soap and hot water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to prevent any germs on your hands gaining entry.
- Practice good health habits, like getting adequate sleep, plenty of exercise (unless you’re sick), managing stress, drinking plenty of fluids, and eating good-quality, nutritious food with plenty of fresh or dried fruit and vegetables.